Sunday, May 19, 2013

Mentorship

Literal: 
Mentorship Log


Contact:
Toni Villanueva 909 962 3685
Robert Ngo 626 533 7864

Interpretive:
The most important thing I have gained from this experience is being able to see what it is like to be a pharmacist. My first mentorship I was able to work and observe in a community pharmacist.. It wasn't what I had imagined. I have learned that there is so much more that goes into filling a prescription. I also took away that if I were to become a pharmacist in the future, a community pharmacist is something that I would like to do because of the relationships you are to build with each customer. With my second mentorship I was able to observe what it's like to be a clinical pharmacist. I sat with Robert Ngo observing him giving consultations. It was, to be honest, quite scary to see how much work that goes into each patient. Each minute with him enriched my senior project. All in all, the most important thing I gained from this experience is to see what a possible career option is like.

Applied:
I feel that what I have done helped me answer my essential question by being able to focus my essential question and giving me answers for my essential question. My first mentorship experience allowed me to focus my essential question on patient care. Since I was able to see how a pharmacist worked and a pharmacy ran, I was able to look at what happened and see what I wanted to focus on. My favorite part at mentoring at the community pharmacist was seeing how relationships were built with the patient and pharmacist. That is how my essential question was focused on patient care. My second mentorship experience allowed me support and justification for my second answer. Since I was there observing consultations, I saw different techniques my mentor had used to aim for adherence. These techniques included quizzing the patient and even repeating main points at the end of the consultation. It is something I will talk about and possibly use if I do become a clinical pharmacist. It was like they were giving a two hour presentation to every patient!

No comments:

Post a Comment